Thursday, March 5, 2009

Twas the night before nationals

Twas the night before nationals (Division III) and all through the Marriott…

I held my second annual Division III Championships reception today. Fans from St Johns, The College of New Jersey, Coe and Cornell showed up. I got to see the team from UW La Crosse and I introduced myself to MIT heavyweight Glenn Geesman and his coach, Tom Layte. We also had a few local Hawkeye fans in attendance. Attendance was down from last year and I’m hoping that is not any indication of how the weekend will go.

As was expected, the staff at the Marriott did an outstanding job.

Competition begins tomorrow morning and I can hardly wait for the action to begin. I’m most anticipating the bookend classes – 125 and HWT. Any one of the seeds could win at 125 and HWT has some very exciting wrestlers.

Team scoring could be much closer than anticipated. Conventional wisdom is predicting a typical Wartburg/Augsburg race but schools like Delaware Valley, Luther and Coe have lineups that could upset the apple cart.

I’ll be blogging after every session and Wrestling 411 will be providing complete championship coverage so join us and stay abreast of all the action.

No comments: